Integrating USD and IFC for the AEC Industry

Hi Everyone!

I am interested in integrating IFC (and other BIM related) metadata into USD, similar to how USDPhysics added physics simulation capabilities. Is there any work already being done on this topic?

Kind regards,
Gergely

1 Like

We’re in the early phases of setting up the appropriate open governance bodies (e.g., interest group) within AOUSD for stakeholders to discuss, prototype, and standardize schemas for domains like BIM IFC. No timeframe to announce just yet.

One possible approach that we’ve briefly experimented with at NVIDIA is to automatically generate schema.usda given a BIM IFC json as input, i.e., auto-map existing BIM IFC data models to USD schemas. But that’s just a starter strawman idea for now.

1 Like

Dear Aaron,

thank you for your kind reply.

I would be very interested in participating in this work.

Even without a specific BIM USD schema, a File Format plugin (based on e.g. IFCOpenShell) would be very useful which could at the very least load the geometry, material, and rigid body physics data from an IFC model.

Kind regards,
Gergely

1 Like

Thanks-- will update here when the appropriate group is stood up in AOUSD for participation :pray:t3:

2 Likes

FYI We have integrated IFC support and also STEP support in Multiverse on request on one special client.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’m very much interested in this topic as well - being an licensed architect and tech founder. Anything I can help to contribute to this topic, feel free to reach out/include me.

Best,
Stephen

We actually have the beginnings of a USD serializer in IfcOpenShell [0]. Would be super exciting to expand on this and see what kind of BIM usecases can be facilitated by USD’s layered composition. I’m a bit short on time the coming months, but let me know if somebody is interested in in exploring this within the IfcOpenShell project.

[0] IfcOpenShell/src/serializers/USDSerializer.cpp at v0.8.0 · IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell · GitHub

1 Like