Instanceable animated asset?

So I want to have an asset with built-in animation and in the same time I want to use the asset on a scene as instanceable prim. As for now, I prepared an asset of dummy with built-in walking animation and animation is here, when I add the asset to new scene (environment). To increase performance of the scene I want my assets to be instanceable. But when I set

instanceable = true

to the asset, it loses it’s built-in animation (dummies just in default T-pose). Can’t find any information about instancing in regard of animation, actually.
The questions are: can I make it work as I described? Is there another way to increase scene’s performance?
Working in Nvidia Composer.

1 Like

Yes, that should definitely work, @zdarova . The only currently known limitation with animation and instancing (which we hope to address this year) is that if a prototype of a PointInstancer has UsdSkel animation in it, the animation will be lost. But we believe that non-Skel, native instancing setups should work everywhere, whether the animation comes directly from timeSamples or from Value Clips.

If you have a simple example that does not work in usdview and you’d be able to post it, we can try to take a look.

2 Likes

The only currently known limitation with animation and instancing (which we hope to address this year) is that if a prototype of a PointInstancer has UsdSkel animation in it, the animation will be lost

Looks like you described exactly my case. I will try with non-skeletal animation soon and will reply.

Thanks for reply! @spiff